From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:30:12 +0000
Roger Hecht writes:

>Now, I'll dig my hole.  One reason I am not as drawn to the operas is
>that as the years go on, I am increasingly put off by HIP performances.

That's the opposite of my preferences.  After decades of totally unidiomatic
performances of Baroque works, I was elated with the arrival of historically
informed interpretations replete with period instruments.  I then acquired
every Handel oratorio and opera I could get my hands on; loved every
minute of it and still do.

>I wish there were recordings with HIP and modern instrument groups.
>Give us a choice.  Right now there is no choice-- the HIPers have simply
>pushed everyone else out, and for me that takes many of the operas away.

I'm surprised Roger said the above.  I don't see how the "HIPers" could
possibly push anyone out of the way; record companies make recording
decisions, not the performers.  It seems totally reasonable to me that
after so many decades of inappropriate performance styles, that there
would be a "rush" of period instrument recordings.  Now we have quite a
few modern orchestras taking an historically informed approach in addition
to the period instrument bands.  Also, I wonder how many of these Handel
operas would have seen the light of day on record if it wasn't for the
interest in HIP performances.

Seems to me that the HIP approach has greatly enhanced the interest of
classical music enthusiasts in the baroque period.  That's all to the
good.

Don Satz