From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:47:07 -0500
Scott Morrison wrote:

>The piece generally thought to be Markevitch's best, 'Icare' ('Icarus'
>for soprano, men's voices and orchestra) will be issued next month in
>the U.S.  by Marco Polo, I believe, along with his piano concerto and
>his 'Cantata.' You can hear if, it you're registered at their site, at
>the Naxos site here:

I have a tape of Bernstein doing Icare.  As I recall hearing, or reading
somewhere, that Bartok thought highly of the work.  I have several of
Markevitch's works in recording and found them difficult to approach.
Icare made a strong positive impression on me when I got that tape of
the Bernstein performance.  His music seems to me to be very personal.
Sometimes the logic of its construction escapes me, and find it a
challenge.  I am certainly looking forward to the Piano Concerto recording
as it is an early work of his...and perhaps I can follow it more easily.

Karl