From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:08:14 +0100
Patrik Enander writes:

>It's "the Gramophone disease"
>
>I am an avid reader of Gramophone, but..... I sometimes wonder:
>
>3. Has Hyperion ever made a bad recording?
>etc....

The answer to Q3 is sometimes yes.  As Don Satz mentioned, some of the
reviewers in Gramophone seems to dislike The Liszt Series and/or the
pianist Leslie Howard.  You don't have to read the review, just go to the
end of review and check out the signature.  From that you will be able to
predict whether the review is positive or negative.

In fact, I've never bought a bad Hyperion recording.  I would rate all of
them between 3 and 5 (out of 5).

>When I was new to classical music Gramophone was my "bible", but as I
>became more experienced it was a relief to borrow my friends Fanfare or
>ARG and to find that Fonoforum was available in Goteborg so that I
>could get other points of view

In general, I think that Fanfare is more reliable from my point of view.
Unfortunately, you can't read it (except for back issues) on the Internet
any longer.

Mikael