From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:57:29 -0800
Dave Harman wrote:

>Seriously, as you well know, most of these stores assign the 'classical'
>section to a clueless individual who knows so little about the music
>that they can only re-order what was purchased.  This summer I was in
>the Borders in Salt Lake and it has the same clueless feel about it.

As a fifteen year veteran (who recently left the) record business, I
must protest this statement.  Have you applied for work in a record store
lately? These poor guys are lucky to get $6 an hour and are expected to
work absurd hours.  You are not going to get many DMAs to work for that.
I must defend the poor folk who get assigned the "classical" section.
They often do as best they can in a sinking industry with their hands
tied behind their back.  Further, the levels and selection at most Borders
stores is not controlled at store level, rather at corporate, and the store
staff has very little control over it.  I do get irked at the disparaging
remarks that are made at record store staffs, especially when they are so
frequently uninformed.

Kevin Sutton