From:
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:24:29 -0400
I share sympathy for the confusion and "disturbed" feelings left by the
film, and a large part is due to the score.  I also found the music to be
extremely effective.

I couldn't place the opening music - that Hungarian/eastern European waltz
like elegance which introduces the party scene.  And the chanting/organ
music in the middle section is eerie to say the least and produces a mood
not to be reconned with.

You are right about the Mozart requium in the coffee shop. But I think it
is perfect.  Having just been followed by the unknown man, and picking up
that newspaper reading "----- -- -- -----" The Mozart requium at this point
is a marvelous choice by Kuberik.  I had a small chuckle at it, in fact.

But that piano...  perfect for the film.  That simple theme crying out
in anger, passion, and fear is more powerful on its own than any more
developed score could ever hope to be.

Oh, and you are right, Bob - definitely not for the squeamish or prude!

Alan Lynn