From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:13:49 -0500
Melinda Najera asked:

>...for a really good recording of Holst's Second Suite.  I have been
>having a hard time finding one!  Does anyone have any suggestions?

At least two good recordings should be in most CD shops with a fair CM
collection: Frederick Fennell's, with the Eastman Wind Ensemble, includes
works by Vaughan Williams, Mennin, Persichetti and Reed (Mercury Living
Presence 462 960-2).  The version with Timothy Reynish with the Royal
Northern College of Music Wind Orchestra (Chandos 9697) includes works
by Vaughan Williams, and is a more recent release.

I'm not saying it's inappropriate to the music, but Fennell's a little
more rip-roaring; less fussy about detail, in any case.  It's also in
mono, and not as expensive as the Reynish.  Suites 1 and 2 are on both
CDs, but the Chandos has better sound and includes more Holst.

It's not a toss-up to me, though.  The Chandos includes Holst's
Hammersmith, Op. 52 -- which takes music for winds to another level
entirely.  I forget if it was Shakespeare or Mae West who said always
better to span both levels, but I'd go with the Reynish.

Bert Bailey