From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:27:16 -0500
The practicum component of my wife's teacher training course is
familiarizing her with elementary or primary-level education in an
inner-city school here in Canada's capital.  Students are mostly from not
very affluent homes, there are high rates of disturbed, retarded and in
other ways impaired children (er, with multiple 'exceptionalities'), and
many classes have students whose home languages are usually Arabic, Farsi,
Somali, etc.  -- not English (nor French).

Every day at 11:30, students and teachers are asked to stop what they're
doing and listen to a piece of classical music.  The principal announces
the piece over the public address system, says some things about it or the
composer, asks students to try to make out what instruments are playing,
etc.

This introduction varies each day, and the same piece is played every day
for a week, and it's extended a bit longer through the week.  This week's
piece is the 'Troika' movement of Prokofiev's Lt Kije Suite.

This practice is apparently becoming a highlight of the school day for many
students.  All do draw quiet and listen, and most keep the beat with their
feet or hands.  Some even wave their arms to the music.  In the case of
Troika, several chivvy the horses along.  In short, great fun's being had
by all.

The principal apparently follows some pre-determined program which I don't
know.  In any case, the music is treated as an end in itself -- not, for
instance, as a means to tranquillize students, nor after some plan presumed
to make them more intelligent.

This is no great shakes, of course: IIRC, state programs in Venezuela and
Estonia turn out students who are real connoisseurs of music.  10 minutes
a day does not a master class make, but it's better than nothing.  I was
pleasantly surprised.  We wish our kid's school, in this more affluent
suburb, devoted any class time to such music.

Any similar efforts to expose youths to CM going on where you live?

Intrigued,

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa, Canada