From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:53:42 -0700
Ed Zubrow asks about the Wesendonck Lieder.

I've been avoiding Wagner threads (not because I don't like him--quite the
opposite; just not initiated enough yet.  The only opera I know -really-
well is Tristan & Isolde).  BUT I do love the W.  Lieder.

Yes, there are 5 in the set.  I know virtually no German (I can read the
backs of CDs though) so the words are a bit lost on me, too.  I know the
subtitle is "Fu:nf Gedichte fu:r eine Frauenstimmen".  I know the Flagstad
is supposed to be really good (I like it--but she was Wagner-girl anyway)
and that she recorded both the piano & orchestral accompaniment versions.
Also I hear raves about the Martha Mo:dl but I ain't heard it.

The texts are by Mathilde Wesendonck, to whom the set of songs is also
dedicated.  She and her husband Otto, a well-to-do importer, were friends
of the Wagners.  Otto apparently loaned RW some money once.

The rest I had to look up: According to Groves', Wagner's love for Mme.
Wesendonck and reading of Schopenhauer inspired the idea for Tristan &
Isolde.  Dang!  Heady stuff.  The Wesendonck songs were composed about the
same time as T&I, after Walku:re.  2 of the 5 W.  Lieder are studies for
T&I.  Then his wife Minna (not Cosima yet I guess) opened and read a letter
from RW to Mme.  Wesendonck and all hell broke loose.

I think someone could write an opera about RW and all the women in and out
of his life.  Wasn't Cosima Liszt's illegetimate daughter? Or how does all
that go?

Anyway.  That's all I have.  Sorry I can't say more about the text.  Great
great stuff though.

Bob K., still trying to get through my Knappertsbusch Ring this year!