From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:17:28 -0500
Wes Crone wrote:

>I have to be honest and say that I have been returning CDs at Tower for
>years.  In fact, several years ago I would gather a group of unwanted CDs,
>take them to the cashier at Tower and tell them I disapproved of the music
>or the recording quality.  They would take ALL of the CDs back and give
>me full price.  Some of these CDs were over a year old.  I used the money
>to purchase other music so I guess they didn't lose any money because I
>didn't make recordings of the bad CDs.  To make a long story short, this
>new "1-time-only" exchange program is much more strict than what I was
>accustomed to.  Maybe I was being a bad person by taking back old CDs.  I
>never lied about them though, I just told Tower I didn't like the music.

I'm sorry Wes, but that kind of behaviour is absolutely deplorable.  Yes,
the store did indeed lose money, because the labels strictly limit the
amount of return credit we receive for opened product.  This is a clear
abuse of the system and if I were the manager, I'd have sent you packing.
Honestly, where do you get the idea that 1).  a business is a library for
you to borrow product, and 2) that you are above the stated policies.
 [Tower's standard policy is that returns are accepted within two weeks of
purchase, unopened with a receipt.  If it's open, you get new copy of the
same cd]

>One more thing regarding Tower Records.  I believe it was Mr. Sutton who
>works for Tower Records (correct me if I'm wrong) and I would like to know
>something of Tower's policy regarding returned music.  I returned several
>titles at one Tower location only to find what I am certain are the exact
>same CDs at another location.  I noticed similar marks or flaws in the CD
>cases on several occasions.  I guess I don't mind so much but when I get a
>bad CD it makes me think it could be a defective CD returned by someone
>else.  Is this possible?

I don't believe it is, however, if we test something that is truly not
defective, we have been known to rewrap it and reshelve it.  We do this
for product that we know full well is not defective, and are returned ad
nauseum by people who, apparently like you, abuse the good will of the
company.  I'm sorry to come down hard on you Wes, as I like your posts and
you seem like a good guy, but this is the kind of thing that all of us in
the business come to deplore over time.

Now, someone is sure to say that we should be able to provide a
satisfactory product and stand behind it.

My response:

Music and art is subjective.  There are dozens of options which are
available to satisfy nearly every taste.  A retail outlet cannot possibly
guarantee that you will like every recording you buy.  It is you, the
customer's, responsibility to do a little homework before you lay out money
for what is, in fact, an investment.  You would not buy a home or a car or
an insurance policy without doing some consumer research.  Do you return
a failed stock purchase for a refund? No you don't.  Those of you who
continually bitch about the high cost of cds and the shriking selection in
stores can look to the "returners" as one of the causes of the problem.
You do not help the industry, rather, you help to diminish the available
funds to produce new and interesting recordings.  Ihave NEVER, in 20 years
of collecting records returned a disc on the "I don't like this" premise.

Further, the argument that "I'm not laying out 20 bucks for a disc and
run the risk of not liking it...they're too expensive..." doesn't wash
in this crowd either.  After ten years in the business, very, very few
of my clients are poor.  Those with the most limited means make the
wisest decisions, and they almost never return a cd!  Most of them have
considerable disposable income or they wouldn't be buying classical music
in the first place.  If you are afraid of a risk, do your homework or buy
Naxos, Arte Nova or Vox.

End of rant, but it needs to be said.

Kevin