From:
Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:12:31 -0400
Late March and early April brought Matthias Goerne and Alfred Brendel
to Disney Hall.  Goerne's first appearance, with the Phil for "Wunderhorn"
(a program opening with Shostakovich 9) has already been well reviewed
on this list.  A week ago Brendel and Goerne appeared together for
"Winterreisse." They have a new recording of this out, so it's rather
like a rock band touring to support a new album.

For that recital, the Disney Hall "surround the stage" design provided
me with an awful seat - to the far side, far rear of the stage.  I could
see Brendel over the half-raised piano top, but Goerne had his back to
me 95% of the time.  Missing his facial expression is one thing; hearing
his voice as a backwash from the front of the hall is quite another.  I
wonder how the recital sounded to those seated in the choral benches and
"orchestra view section," which is the far rear section, behind the
stage.

All I know is, the next time I am looking for a ticket for a Disney Hall
recital, I will not buy if I can't sit in front of the stage, or at least
in one of the forward sections of the side tiers.

Last Saturday, Brendel appeared with guest conductor Zinman for Beethoven
concerto 3.  An interesting experience.  Many may well love the great
man's tasteful, undemonstrative manner.  Frankly, I didn't.  What may
seem low key to others sounded to me like low energy.  Zinman at least
let loose a bit in the orchestral passages, providing a touch of the
Beethovian power and rush.  Brendel seemed to play at one dynamic all
night - I don't think he ever played forte.  Unsurprisingly then, the
central slow movement was the highlight.

Well, tastes differ.  The audience certainly showed its appreciation.
Next season (in about 9 months, actually), Uchida will play the cycle
over two weeks at Disney Hall.  I suspect her #3 will appeal to me more
than Brendel's did...

The second half brought Shostakovich Symphony 8, the last of this season's
3 symphonies by the composer, as we are at the mid-point of a five-year
cycle.

Once again, my ambivalence toward this composer's symphonic work dominated
my response.  The first movement holds my attention with its shifting,
mutating themes.  But I never feel as if I have ever caught the thread
of the argument.  Instead, I am picking up pieces, trying to find the
connecting bits.  The third movement is entirely a success - a succinct,
brutal allegro, which runs into the last two movements - another 25
minutes of music.  Somewhere in the middle of that last half hour I just
stopped caring. I thought Zinman held the orchestra together and conducted
with energy - i won't blame him.  I think it's me.  More than half an
hour of Shostakovich seems to make me antsy.  Maybe a Gergeiv performance
would help me get over that...

Well, I don't have another Disney Hall performance until Dutoit flies
in to lead Shaham in the Brahms on the 23rd.  However, on the 17th I
will be in San Francisco to hear (I hope!) Argerich in the Schumann,
with Dutoit also conducting the Ravel "mere d'oye" and Prokofiev #6.
Pretty nice program!

Please, Martha! Feel good! Feel strong! Be there!

C Mullins
Redondo Beach