From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:51:58 +0100
Joe Hagedorn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Most recent classical music composers I've heard are from over a hundred
>years old.  The most recent seem to be about fifty years ago.  Is anyone
>still writing classical music?

There have been some really greats in our time too:  Sjostakovitj died in
1975, Allan Pettersson in 1980.

There are a bunch of composers active today too, but I doubt more than a
very few can earn their bread on composing.  In Sweden the only one I know
of is Daniel Boertz, who is the guy who has a contract with the Swedish
Radio to compose one opera each year for them in exchange for payment.

- - -

I would take this opportunity to suggest two interesting contemporary
composers.  The first one is Stirling Newberry, who write fine music
indeed.  You can visit his homepage and download some of his works there
in MIDI and RealAudio format:

   http://home.earthlink.net/~allegro314/

And the Portugese Miguel d'Andrade Gomes who write very charming melodical
neoclassical music:

   http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/2760/music-pt.htm

Take your time to visit these sites and download the music.  It is worth
it!

Mats Norrman