From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:21:27 -0600
Roger Hecht:

>Overrated for sure [Levine], but that has not stopped the Boston press
>from lionizing him, just as in a different way it covered for Ozawa.

Covered for him?  When?  From 1980-1986 when I lived in Boston, and heard
just about all of Ozawa's concert's, the Boston Globe reviewer lost no
opportunity to sneer at Ozawa.  The orchestra was on "autopilot," there
were no true pianissimos, etc.  (I was at an open rehearsal and heard
him tell the players "softer!" on one occasion.

Jim Tobin