From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:51:35 -0500
Karl responds to me:

>>Appreciating music requires nothing more than exposure ...and the desire
>>for more.
>
>I tend to agree with you, however, what does that say of the countless
>programs in music appreciation, etc.  Sometimes I think those "appreciation
>programs" are designed for the educators and not the children (ok, a
>gross generalization).  I also wonder if there is some fear in the notion
>that one cannot bring someone to appreciate (and consume) art music
>through a dedicated program of education...however that may be defined.

Such courses earn their keep by simply providing the exposure one, or
one's child, might not be getting.  Exposure to a single piece of music
is what my 9-yr old girl gets at school, 15 minutes per day for a week,
with the Taylor-Brummitt program that's been raised on this List:
(http://www.ttimbers.com/brummitt.htm).  I was once urged to get out my
CD of Prokofiev's 'Troika,' and the whole family was soon galloping round
the house.  More than once, too.  Excellent exposure; real involvement.
And not just for her.

A good appreciation course, natch, should teach what to listen for,
ask what one imagines during some music, to guess at instrumentation,
to compare this with last week's Vivaldi, etc.  But most important,
nurturing this approach may lead some to look beyond easy musical payoffs.

Bert Bailey