Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:49:59 EDT
Don Satz writes:

>I assume that those who attend concerts with any regularity do so
>because they expect the "traditional" programming.  But couldn't there
>be a different potential audience which stays away because of that type
>of programming who would flock to the concert hall if the programming did
>become more adventurous and feature more of the "obscure"?

There are plenty of musical directors / conductors who are deeply involved
personally with modern music, eg Maazel, Rattle,.  But tmostly they cater
to the guidance of the managerial caste because they realize that in Big
Music, it's the only way to survive handsomely.  In distressingly mundane
terms, __there's a market out there__.  The folks who are expert in this
market and have stacked programing accordingly.  In another posting I have
pointed out where management thinks it can accomodate modern programming.
It's not exactly in the favelas.

Denis Fodor