From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:38:20 +0100
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>But where is our profound musical 'home'?  Who are the composers we most
>turn to when we are feeling like we want to cleanse our tastebuds?  Which
>are the compositions we select when we need a good old pal, or want to
>renew ourselves after a very stressful time?  What is our own personal,
>guaranteed, tried-and-true feel-good music?  What are the pieces of music
>we have sought out more than five times in the last year?
>
>Schubert Fifth Symphony comes to mind immediately for me: it has lifted
>me from some very serious doldrums.

My antidote to the serious doldrums would be Howells Hymnus Paradisi.

Pieces that take over the CD player if I'm not careful are Walton Symphony
No 1 - Previn and the LSO is the best by some distance.

RVW Sea Symphony.  I love the epic scale and variety of mood, the seascapes
and mysticism of the piece.

Delius A Mass of Life particularly the ending that seems takes you to
paradise.

Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony.  The Judex with the unaccompanied choirs
in 20 parts that looks back to Tallis.

Wagner The Ring.  It seems to encompass just about every emotion that
can be felt.

Tim Horwood