From:
Mary Esterheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:58:26 -0400
Paul W. Hofreiter wrote:

>Dear List Members, I had the privilege of attending The Philadelphia
>Orchestra concert this afternoon.  Martha Argerich performed the Prokofieff
>Third with Dutoit.  I've never before encountered such genius from a
>performer in a live concert.  It was timeless, and one of the most perfect
>collaborations I've ever heard.  Her power was matched by her subtlety.
>Her technique was flawless.  ...

I, too, had the priviledge of seeing/hearing her Friday afternoon and
totally agree.  So I was somewhat dismayed at the review by Peter Dobrin in
the Saturday's Inquirer (phillynews.com).  Maybe Friday's performance was
better than Thursday night's? I was fascinated by the ease with which her
fingers tripped over the keys without undue flourish - truly amazing.

One thing, if ever an encore was called for, that was one of the times but
alas, none was given.  I was also surprised by the way she had half stood
while hitting the last notes of the concerto.  I think that is the first
time I've ever seen a solist not take a quiet pause before rising for a
bow.

This may have been discussed recently on the list, but I know that at least
parts of that concerto were used in some movie and I've been trying to
remember which? Anyone remember?

Mary Esterheld