From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:28:07 -0800
Steve writes:

>Unless the price of a player drops significantly, I don't see it
>taking off.

I read on the net that there are 2 million SACD players in households
world-wide.  There is also a new article in Stereophile regarding SACD.
It's selling 3 times as fast as DVD-A.  The the sales graphs are looking
like they did when CD took off.  There is a Pioneer for $159; whether
it sounds good or not, I don't know.  Have you had a chance to hear one
yet in just two channel?  It changes everything!  I'm jumping in and
hoping for the best.

Here's what finally did it: (A true story.  Really.) I looked at my opera
collection and asked myself.  Could I ever expect to see an SACD release
of something as beloved but obscure as Bartok's Bluebeard?  Low and
behold it's out with Ivan Fischer.

John Smyth
Sacramento, CA