From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:56:53 -0700
As a person who has worked as a public radio station manager and board
president, I was very disappointed to learn that most music public radio
stations receive is free...  But not classical music...  Stations pay a
high price for the classical music libraries.  And the classical music
programming is similarly expensive...  Among the most expensive programming
we provided, next to the NPR news shows, Diane Rehm, Garrison Keillor,
and Car Talk.

Public radio costs have skyrocketed since politicians have been cutting
back government contributions every year.

Stations cannot continue to offer classical music when the costs are so
high, and the listenership is so small.

Luckily we have pretty good 24 hour classical music coming out of Tucson...
and it seems well supported both by listeners and by the University of
Arizona...

Ray Bayles