From:
Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:44:21 +0200
Jim Lee wroteabout the LAPO:

>While not the world class orchestra it became under Carlo Maria Giulini
>and presently Esa-Pekka Salonen.

I don't know if we have any listers from LA? In "Dagens nyheter" the
biggest Swedish daily newspaper, there was an article about a heated debate
in LA Times about Salonen.  Son people seem to really enjoy the way he has
expanded the repertorie, but others say that he is just rushing through the
classics to play "horrible"new music.  I can't give you any more details
since I thrown the article.  Perhaps some one in LA can enlighten us.

BTW, I hadn't heard the Schubert Octet until a couple of weeks ago when I
snapped up the cd wtih Ensemble Walter Boeykens on Harmonia Mundi.  Lovely
music,full of beatiful melodies, very warmly played.  If you find it don't
hesitate!

Patrik Enander
Goteborg, Sweden