From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:49:40 PDT
Bob Draper wrote:

>There is such a vast body of work out there to be listened to that
>to even make a dent in it requires a lifetime devotion.

I'm not so sure of that premise, but the point is that a listener is not
mandated to try to become familiar with that "vast" body.  The listener, of
course, may take that approach but can also limit it to some portion of the
total body.  Whatever each individual decides is fine.

>But this situation leads to my argument that there comes a time when
>one should call a halt and explore pastures new.

Change "should" to "could" or "might" and I can agree with the statement.
I really believe that "should" has no place in listening preferences.

>The clock is ticking we only have so much time.

I don't know how much time I have left, and that theme never plays a part
in how I operate my life.  I am the "man of the moment".  But, I am sorry
to hear that Bob hasn't much time left.  Since medical breakthroughs take
place frequently, Bob might have much more time left than he thinks.

Don Satz