From:
Krishan P Oberoi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 02:41:22 -0500

Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Great music is great music, regardless of when it was written.

A few years ago when I was an undergrad at the New England Conservatory
in Boston, there was a composition major who insisted on handing in pieces
written in the style of Mozart.  His submissions were consistently rejected
by his professors on the basis that they were essentially pastiche, however
skillfully written.  Eventually the student was forced to withdraw.  All
of the undergrads that I spoke with at the time supported the composition
department in their rejection of this student's work, the general consesus
being that the role of the comp.  dept.  is to help budding composers find
and develop their own unique voice.

Krishan Oberoi
Providence, RI   USA