From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 08:57:12 -0500
Steven Martin:

>The problem that I see with gouging the customer to the maximum that the
>market will support is that prices never come down.  Once Nineteen dollars
>becomes the going rate, you will never see the price come back to Eighteen
>again.

It happened once, back in the late fifties or early sixties.  When the
price of an LP went up to $6 and sales threatened to dry up, the labels
decided to drop the price to $4 and sales took off.  In our own time, BMG's
direct marketing at seven or eight dollars a CD, including s&h charges,
seems to have been highly successful in moving the merchandise.  They don't
offer everything, but they have what amounts to a large list, over a period
of time.

Jim Tobin