From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:37:34 -0400
Bob Yoon ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Here are mine:

Most of these "worst conductors" have at least some great recordings:

>Herbert von Karajan

Brahms Requiem (the latest recording), Honegger symphs, ...

>Vladimir Ashkenazy

Rachmaninov symphs

>Leopold Stokowsky

Shostakovich 11 (we hope God will forgive him for his Bach transcripts.)

>Arthur Rodzinski

Sorry, can't help him

>Andre Previn

Elgar 1st, Shostakovich 5th, Prokofiev Cindrella, ...

>Wolfgang Sawallich

Errr, I thought I had something good by him, can't remember.  A wonderful
disc I remember is the Annie Fischer Mozart concertos 21 and 22.

How about the following theorem:  there are no "truly bad" conductors whose
names would be recognizable to most list members.  (Although Muti and Mehta
come close for me, it's probably because their best work appears to be in
opera and therefore beyond my radar screen).

Ulvi