From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 00:23:44 -0400
While I value historically informed performance practices, I also love
hearing more idiosyncratic practices.  On The WTC, my favorite is still
Schiff, but I also love Hewitt, Gould and Richter.  I look forward to
hearing many more (and have a secret dream to play them myself someday...)

When I first heard Barenboim's Book I I heard the pieces in ways I never
had before, and truly enjoyed them.  He brings out emphases and intertwining
that others don't.  Yes, there are times when I almost think I'm hearing
Chopin -- but what's so bad about that?  Chopin himself loved Bach and
the connection is not such a stretch. I think Bach's genius is large
enough to supply grist for many mills, even the ones that go against the
grain.  It's still Bach, solo Dei gratia!

On a related note, I heard Hewitt's Chopin Nocturnes, and was amused
(and surprised) to hear that she takes more liberty with Chopin than
Barenboim takes with Bach!  The very first track is the C sharp minor,
where she adds some arpeggios that I, for one, have never heard before.
Mind you, it all sounds very elegant and good...  But still...

Miguel Muelle
www.miguelmuelle.com/db