From:
Dave Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:20:00 EDT
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>There was a great fad for Lincoln among American composers in the 1930s
>and 1940s.  Daniel Gregory Mason also wrote a Lincoln symphony.  Herbert
>Elwell wrote a cantata based on Lincoln's speeches.  Gershwin, at the time
>of his death, considered setting the Gettysburg Address.  ...

Also there is the obvious "Lincoln Portrait" of copland, which IMO sounds
better without the narration than with (it can be heard that way on the
"He's Got Game" soundtrack.) Ives also composed a mini-cantata "Lincoln the
Great Commoner" which certainly has symphonic proportions- it is scored for
a huge orchestra and unison chorus.  But it only runs about three minutes
in length- likely why it's never done.

>To be fair, all the Bennett I've heard I've liked: the Violin Concerto,
>the Suite of Old American Dances, Hexapoda, and a quartet for 4 flutes.
>Consequently, I'm interested in actually hearing the symphony.

I just recently found the MHS lp of the "Violin Concerto" and "Hexapoda"
after seeking it nearly twenty years.  The "Violin Concerto" is a little
disappointing- it gets off to a great start but by the end feels a bit
underpowered.  However the "Hexapoda" is a great piece, little jazzy
foxtrot minatures with all kinds of dissonant quirks and diversions thrown
in.  I have felt (since first hearing this on radio aeons ago) that Bennett
may have a lot more to say as a composer in his own work than perhaps he
does as the arranger of "Victory At Sea".  I also look forward anxiously
to the Naxos issue of the Symphony.

Uncle Dave Lewis