From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2005 11:29:57 -0400
Don replies to me:

>...I haven't acquired the Bach Cello Suites, given that I assume
>the cello used is not a baroque original or copy (I could be wrong).

Sorry to mislead: at the store yesterday I saw it was Bach's complete
solo *violin* works that Naxos had put out, not the cello suites.  Given
what you say, though, let me add that this new set is played on a Baroque
violin by Jaap Schroder.  As for me, I'm not quite as overwhelmed by the
violin sonatas and partitas, grand as they are; I feel I've got plenty
to digest with Szerying, Haendel, Suk and Ehnes.

>But I did get the Bartok Quartets played the Vermeer Quartet (haven't
>listened yet).  I'll likely use the Vermeer as my 'taking off' point
>for a review of various recordings of the complete string quartets,
>but that's for another day.

Going on Scott Morrison's strong endorsement, I suspect you're not likely
to be disappointed, and that I should just get the set.  Aside from the
mentioned cello Suites and Beethoven's SQs, these are chamber music
without peer to me, and always rewarding.

I really should make at least passing mention of Martinu's cello and
piano sonatas nudging entry into that group.  And of course there's the
Debussy cello sonata, and then Ravel's for violin and cello, and...

Bert Bailey