From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:02:22 -0800
Donald Satz writes:

>...  Maybe the best way for these stations to go is to just play the Four
>Seasons, Albioni's/Barber's Adagios, and Pachelbel's Canon repeatedly on
>automatic pilot and save the money spent on dj's.

It is worth noting that Mr.  Satz' satirical comment refers to American
commercial FM stations, and epitomizes them perfectly.  However, when I
live in Sweden or France (as I do part of the time), I am fortunately able
to listen to classical music on the public FM stations.  They broadcast
standard repertoire, of course, but also broadcast a fair amount of
pre-baroque music, modern music, and contemporary music.  Why, on the
European public stations, I sometimes hear music I have not heard before,
a danger from which American commercial stations protect me 99.99% of the
time over here.

In other postings, Mr.  Satz has offered the theory that public services
would be expected to offer an impoverished content when compared with
private enterprise.  In the case of classical music on FM, the facts are
evidently exactly opposite to the theory.  Could it be that there is
something wrong with the theory?

Cheers//Jon Gallant