From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:45:46 -0600
Bert Bailey:

>As long as we're into confessions and candour, along with Usama I admit
>to having no time for...
>
>>Mozart's symphonies...any of them.
>
>They don't esp annoy me, as they do him, but I find most too lightweight.
>Ditto for the rest of his music, pretty much.  Maybe it just lacks the
>dissonance I seem to need, or something that's less than creamy-smooth.

These kinds of remarks about Mozart often come from people that have
never performed his music.  Lightweight?  How can anyone call the c minor
mass lightweight?  Lacking dissonance?  How about the 'ne absorbeat'
from the Requiem that is rife with descending 7ths in fugue.  That's
pretty dissonant.

>After reading a few more posts I realize my list is much longer,
>including most of Dvorak, much of Mendelssohn, and probably others.
>And yet, for the mentioned reason, saying I don't like a composer
>feels much like boasting about a blind spot in my musical horizon.

Dvorak, particularly in his chamber music is every bit as profound and
deep as Brahms or Schumann, and he didn't suffer the inabilities at
formal structure that afflicted the latter, and Schubert for example.
I find that the more I listen to Dvorak, the higher he climbs on my list
of favorite composers.

Kevin Sutton