From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:10:27 -0500
Pablo Massa wrote:

>I'm not a professional singer (not even a singer at all), but I always
>wanted to perform Mahler's Kindertotenlieder. Some weeks ago, I made a
>piano reduction of the first one (Nun Will die Sonn so Hell Aufgeh'n), and
>I'm trying to sing it, with my friend Ezequiel at the piano. Yes it's hard
>stuff, but I can sing almost all of it (don't ask how). ...

I'm no singer, except in the privacy of my car on the way to and from
work.  Oddly enough, the idea of playing the Kindertotenlieder while
commuting on the Washington Beltway has been an occasional sub-thread
on the Mahler-List.  Gallows humor.

I admire your effort on this project.  You're probably aware that Thomas
Hampson sings a piano version of the Kindertotenlieder on EMI Classics CDC
7243 5 56443 (hard to tell exactly what the number is, there's so many of
'em), accompanied by Wolfram Rieger.  If it's any help, I put the CD on
right now in your honor.  Hope it helps!

Mitch Friedfeld