From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 08:00:17 -0500
Richard Tsuyuki wrote:

>Karl Miller:
>
>>Actually there has been a great deal written about this.  I am currently
>>reading two books on the subject.
>
>Would you mind giving author & title info?  This is an interesting
>subject.

Currently I am reading:

Capturing Sound: How technologies changed music
by Mark Katz
U of California Press

Playback
Mark Coleman
Da Capo Press

another good book on the subject:

Repeated takes: A short history of recording and its effects on music.
Michael Chanan
Verso Press

>>...perhaps some of the factors you mention may be appropriate to the
>>discussion, however, for me, art music is not the same as popular music....
>
>I agree; in fact, that was my point.  The original poster, Larry Zaidan,
>was trying to "learn something [about how to better program classical
>music] from how 'popular music' concerts are done.".  I was submitting
>my opinion that the two are so different that a comparison would not be
>useful.

Yes.  However, I do wonder if indeed there is a per capita decline in
interest in art music and if so why.

Yesterday on the news there was a discussion of some online wine sales
company working with Amazon.  The "business" newsperson said something
like, "fine wine is often intimidating to people." Then, last night
reading the Katz book, there was mention of how, in the early days of
the phonograph, it was marketed as an entree to "fine music." The marketing
was predicated that the more expensive classical records were actually
a better bargain, as the music would hold your interest longer than
popular music, hence, making the classical music record a better investment
since it would give you pleasure for a longer time.

I guess that approach didn't work, or it would still be with us.

Karl