From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:17:33 -0700
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>Tony Duggan's list for Mahler's 4th does not include Lorin Maazel's.

True and that is another good one among a very lucky symphony on record.

>Is Maazel any good? Another question is about sound quality.

yes, the best of his cycle.

>Are your recommendations all DDD?

Why? I never look.  Knowing me, I would think the majority are not.  My own
theory is that (with one or two exceptions) the great Mahler recordings
were all made by about 1975.

Tony Duggan,  England.
My (developing) Mahler recordings survey is at:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/index.html

 [I've also stopped looking.  The only time I seek out the SPARS code is
when I enter the CD in the database.  -Dave]