From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:29:09 +0200
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I cannot believe intelligent people can be suckered into Wagner's music,
>except as I gladly acknowledge in the momentary parting of the heavy clouds
>that is "Die Meistersinger."

You really seem to not like Wagner.  Too heavy for you? Id like to say
a few things:  First "Die Meistersinger" is not an exeption when it comes
to Wagner, he had surely wrote more of it if it hadnt been that he was a
sensitive neurotic demanding ununderstood soul, which I heartily sympathize
with.  I said "Die Meisersinger" is not an exeption:  you should check my
earlier post in this thread about humour in Wagners music.

But much of Wagner is dark and heavy, yes.  I just like it so, and I am
really a sucker:  "I can suck melancholy from a song like the veasel sucks
eggs!" as Shakespeare writes.  When I first encountered Wagners music that
was in a time when I felt very down and depressed.  In die Walkuere I found
a friendly soul in Wagner...I got over the depression, but Wagner is still
in my heart.  All people feel depressed sometuimes, and when you do I
suggest you the play your Walkuere CDs, I am sure in that mood you will
find new things in Wagner.

>I guess what offends me is that I have to bear the weight as part of my
>culture a man who had no more discernment or naturalness of feeling than
>Walt Disney or Mussolini, which stretches a long way.  ...  "Muss is sein.
>Es muss sein." Hatred, Wagner thought, was his strength. So he wrote it
>into his music.

I have never understood why people can get scared of by antisemitism
in someones music!  Do you want to tell us a little more about the
antisemitism and hatred in Wagners music? In which accord do you hear
antisemitism? In which melody do you hear hatred?

>Still Standing Up for Nielsen

Good to see someone is fighting for Nielsen!  Though the worlds leaden
expert in Nielsen might be Mogens Wenzel Andreasen.

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>