From:
Alastair Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 07:12:58 +0100
Ray Bayles wrote:

>I think you must include the idea that 67 percent of the composers
>music can be listened to repeatedly over the years.  I can look forward
>to Beethoven, Mahler, Mozart, Bach, Shostakovich, Brahms, Bartok,
>Stravinsky, and a number of others without permanently tiring of them.
>However, I share the idea of many of the listeners of my radio show:
>Please, please, no more Tchiakovsky...  It seems the people I know and
>that enjoy my programming are permanently tired of his music...  great
>though it is.

But is it the same music?  Tchaikovsky, more than almost anyone else,
has the problem that only a relatively small part of his music is repeated
over and over again; just considering orchestral works off the top of
my head, the four Orchestral Suites, the first three symphonies, the
Manfred Symphony, some overtures (Tempest, Hamlet) and the Piano Concerto
no.2 are almost never heard here.

They might not be consistently up to the standard of the constantly
repeated works, but they are certainly not bad music!

Alastair