From:
Richard Tsuyuki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:03:57 -0400
Don Satz replies to me:

>I don't think that slick recordings are clear at all; they have an
>aural glaze and thickness that hangs in the air and damages clarity.
>Actually, a dry and clinical sound likely results in the greatest clarity

Thanks, Don, this is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about.  Can
you explain this "glaze" in terms that even an inexperienced listener
like me can understand?  For instance, does it have to do with echoes?
Or a sustained resonance like the damper pedal on a piano?  Is the sound
"fuzzy"?  Does it have to do with the amplification of certain frequencies?
Feeling like I"m on the verge of enlightenment, here.

Richard Tsuyuki
Virginia, USA