From:
Michael Lehrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:58:33 -0700
Jeff Tedford wrote:

>Help.  I'm completely lost my bearings trying to collect Richter.  The
>flood of discs in the bins is enough to make me crazy.  ...
>
>Any suggestions as to the next priorities?

1. Brahms' 2nd  concerto / LVB Appassionata, RCA
Mid-price wonder!  Always in print.  If you can find another RCA disk from
the same vintage with LVB 1st concerto w.  Munch + Sonata No.12, get that
one too.

2. Schumann's concerto, other works. DG
I believe, DG paired the concerto with its other SR's Schumann from the
early 60s.  I have those on separate disks, from the early issues.  Skip
EMI.

3. Bach's WTC. Eurodisc, Le Chant Du Monde, BMG
The greatest!  Most likely not in print, but some places may still have
it, or SH.

4. Haydn.
Scattered all over SR's discography.  There is a set from Decca, which is
not available in the U.S.  All you can get.

5. Dvorak's concerto / Schubert's Wanderer, EMI
Recently reissued in the Great Recordings of the Century series.  And they
certainly are.

6. Schubert. D894, D960
The last sonata, IMO, is served best on PRAGA, but M&A is also good, and
I saw it in the store today.

7. Chopin's Ballads, selected etudes / LVB's Rondo, Bagatelles. PRAGA
It is a great disk.  Some stunning playing there, both technically and
interpretatively.

8. Weber's sonata No.3
There is one in the Philips 'Authorized Recordings' series.  The set
also contains two Haydn sonatas and, unfortunately, four of LVB, that may
duplicate those in the 'Great Pianists'.  If they don't, then disregard
the 'unfortunately' and grab this set.  Otherwise, Weber is available on
other labels, I have it, at least, on three different disks.  I any case,
you must have it!  It is an amazing performance, a landmark, Mont Blanc,
miracle!  See for yourself.

9.  I would suggest Olympia's first, as the complete set, but its contents
will duplicate Beethoven, Schubert and Schumann from your 'SR Greatest
Hits', though they are different performances.  Olympia's disks are sold
separately, and I would get Chopin preludes, Rachmaninov, Schubert's
sonatas 13 & 14, LVB sonatas 3 & 4.  Speaking of Beethoven's early sonatas,
get 1 & 7 on EMI, if available on a single separate disk (mine is from
EMI Japan).

10. 'Enigma' video.

There is much, much more, but it is a start.  You may visit Paul Geffen's
site, which contains SR's discography and other information.

ML