From:
Bernard Savoie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:43:19 -0500
Kwon Younghee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Can anyone recomemend a recording of contemporary music composer? I
>would like listen to the music at first, but I have no idea about that.

I'd recommend you visit the following web broadcast sites which feature new
music:

ANTENNA RADIO has several different programs available on-line.  "Mappings"
and "Le Vide" are among those more oriented to new music.  The programs are
changed every week and are available for a full week, so you can listen in
any time (this has become a weekly habit for me).  This week Le Vide is
featuring works by Wolfgang Rihm (well over 2 hours worth of listening)
and Mappings has a whole spectrum of composers (11 works by 10 different
composers; in all for more than 1 hour 1/2 of listening).  Last week,
Mappings presented a full program of Lou Harrison which can still be heard
(I think).  You can find playlists on the site, so if anything catches your
fancy, you'll know what to look for.  The site URL is:

http://www.antennaradio.com/home.htm

Another site to visit is NEW SOUNDS at http://www.wnyc.org/ (when you get
to the site, look for the New Sounds page) This is a live broadcast (every
evening at 11pm EST) which also includes archives from the last 2 years
worth of shows.  Much music to discover on this very eclectic show.
Playlists are also available on the site.

I find that such sites give excellent opportunities to discover new
music without having to spend a fortune doing so.  There are several other
similar sites available.  To find out about other such broadcast sites I
have found the following site quite useful ressource:
http://earsay.com/Pages/resources/bitcasts.html

It lists a number of radio programs which are available on the web with
times and days of broadcast.

Happy listening and discovering,
Bernard Savoie
Montreal, Canada