From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:47:12 +1100
This morning I unsuccessfully attempted to identify a violin concerto,
most of which I heard on the radio.  I'd decided on either Wieniawski or
Vieuxtemps but it was really Goldmark.  Both outer movements end in the
same way - chord - drum roll - chord - drum roll - long chord, a cliche if
ever there was one.  I idly wondered who originated the idea, and thought
it was probably Beethoven in Leonore No 3, although the last chord is short
in that case.  It's the same ending as Leonore No 2 but the drum rolls are
added.  Does anyone know of an earlier use of this, by Beethoven or anyone
else?

Incidentally, my favourite ending is Dvorak's 8th which has what I always
think of as an exuberant shout of sheer delight.

Richard Pennycuick