From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 10:35:06 -0400
I would like to announce my new Web Page devoted to the Charles-Valentin
Alkan.  I am asking Dave to include the link at the Classical Net.

For those of you who are not familiar with him, he was a contemporary of
Chopin and Liszt.  He and Chopin were actually next-door-neighbors and it
has been said that even Liszt, with his great technique, was leery about
performing before Alkan.  Alkan composed almost exclusively for the piano,
and his compositions range from extremely easy to stupendously difficult.

My Web Page is set up to be a site where all available information relating
to Alkan recordings can be found.  There are currently four parts:

   1. A list of all the works that Alkan wrote.
   2. Tables of all his works with information about any
      recording ever made of each piece
   3. A list of artists that have recorded Alkan
   4. Information on each recording made - with some links to reviews.

As you will see when you visit the site, there is still much to do.
Many parts are still under construction and I am missing quite a bit of
information.  This should be evident from the way I have color-coded the
text.  I would appreciate any comments, suggestions and particularly input
on the information that I do not have.

Please contact me before you spend time compiling information, since I
may already have some data that has not been entered.  If anyone wants to
snail-mail me copies of liner notes etc., I will provide my home address on
an individual basis.  Several List members have already helped me gather
recording information.

I created several links to back issue reviews from Fanfare at Musicblvd,
but these reviews seem to have disappeared.  I will make an effort to
include more links to reviews as time allows.  I'm not getting paid for
this but it is one of those proverbial nasty jobs that someone has to do.

Please let me know if you detect any links that are defective.  There are
several places on the site where you can click and e-mail me.  I am sorry
that the URL is not more self-explanatory, but this is how my ISP does
things and they do it for free!

Now that you have read through all this, the URL is:

   http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/Index.html

Please visit and let me know what you think.

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA