From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:45:27 +0000
Jos Janssen writes:

>Here's a list of Dutch composers that deservedly would be as widely known
>as some others if e.g.  Naxos was not an American label:
>
>Willem Pijper, Matthijs Vermeulen, Hendrix Andriessen, Henk Badings, Ton de
>Leeuw, Louis Andriessen, Peter Schat, Lex van Delden, Rudolf Escher, Geert
>van Keulen, Tristan Keuris and so on and so on.  definitely all of export
>quality.

I agree with Jos about the export quality of the listed composers.
Perhaps when the dust settles, one of more of them will attain or surpass
the reputation of Sweelinck.  However, it would be difficult for any of
them to match the influence that Sweelinck had on subsequent musical
trends.

Is Naxos an American label?  I don't know the answer to that one, but I
don't think that the founder was American.

>We do not have the advantage of blatant chauvinsitic musical periodicals
>like the British Grammophone.

Jos, you need to get one of those types of periodicals for your own
country - tout the Dutch composers and music, dump on the music of other
countries.

As an aside, Albuquerque is just as high into the sky as Denver.  Yet,
Denver is the 'mile-high' city, and Albuquerque is a dry and brown valley
of land.  It's all in the marketing.

Don Satz