From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:43:07 -0500
Edward Janusz wrote:

>Richard said:
>
>>donating them to the local library where they would probably only gather
>>dust and present some unfortunate with a huge filing problem.  The
>
>Around here, most of the public libraries have booksales: a mixture of
>retired titles and (mostly) donations.  There's a chance that someone
>will dig finding a huge bundle of Gramophones at a booksale, and the
>library can always use a few $AUD.

True.  I have found some incredible things at such sales...once I bought
a complete run of Source Magazine.  Some of you might remember it, a
publication done by Larry Austin.  It highlighted the avant garde of
the 60s and 70s and included works by the likes of Partch.  On the other
hand, it saddened me that our public library was withdrawing these from
its collection.  Often times it seems like libraries have a grocery store
mentality...if it doesn't sell, get rid of it...or, perhaps even worse,
the music person didn't recognize the signficance of the publication...and
from the economic standpoint...what these would have sold for if made
available to the collector's market.  Just checked at abebooks, one
volume is selling for $175.  I bought the second set for a dollar a
volume and gave them to a friend!

Karl