From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 15:36:09 PDT
I evidently have not had my fill of Bach's WTC, Book 1, because I found
myself last night heading for Horszowski's version on Vanguard.

Right off, one major difference is the sound quality.  The Vanguard was
recorded in 1979-1980 and there is considerable hiss when listening with
headphones.  But, the performances are so fine that sound quality lessens
in significance.

I had said of Schepkin that he's a great "bad-news" pianist, but Horszowski
is even better and darker.  He places more emphasis on the bass notes and
his part playing is exceptional.  To my surprise, Schepkin is the more
up-lifting pianist and displays a little more joy.  Each of them has much
to offer even a seasoned listener.  And, each of them finds very different
messages in many of the pieces.

My wife has been a good sport about hearing Bach so much lately.  He's
definitely not her cup of tea: too dark and not entertaining enough.
We're off now to see the movie "American Beauty".  This is the type of
movie I always enjoy; my wife's being a good sport about that too.  But,
I watched one of those up-lifting family films with her last night.
Opposites can be a fine match.

Don Satz