From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:22:56 -0600
Donald Satz wrote:

>Nate DeMaria wrote:
>
>>I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not Horowitz recorded
>>Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto.
>
>My reference materials say that he did record it with Coates as the
>conductor on a Biddulph recording - LHW 036.  Whether it's still in
>print is another matter.

That's the Rachmaninoff 3rd with Coates.  VH never recorded the
Rachmaninoff 2nd, nor, to the best of my knowledge, did he ever perform
it.  I do recall reading that he played through the Rachmaninoff Paganini
Rhapsody with Ivan Davis playing the piano reduction of the orchestral
part.  I believe VH was scheduled to record some of the Rachmaninoff two
piano music with the composer, but it never happened.  They did play for
each other.

Another Horowitz loss...he considered playing the Prokofiev Second
Concerto.

Karl