From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:39:08 PDT
Len Fehskens wrote:

>I don't think you can "convert" people to classical music.  I think
>the best you can hope to do is expose people who are susceptible to
>classical music to it.  And you don't help them by condescending to
>them as "beginners".

Here are a few alternative designations: novice, uninitiated, cadet,
intern, trainee, starter, ignorant, and musically challenged.  I would
prefer "Concerts for the Musically Challenged".  That could pack them in.

>What makes a musical work "appropriate" for a beginner?

I suppose it would be a work which is relatively easy to explain to a
beginner.  Or, those works which take up at least 30 lines in Schwann Opus.

I don't know what the big issue is.  Regardless of what the concerts would
be named, the primary focus is to provide "new" folks with music which is
among the most popular in the classical repertoire, hopefully, with some
input from an "expert" just before the playing of each work.  This is a
"piece of cake".

Don Satz