From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:08:17 -0000
Wilson Pereira <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Does anyone know which was the first recording of Classical Music in
>stereo?  Can anyone provide more information about how and when the
>process of recording in stereo started?  Who or which record company
>invented the whole process?

Much of the information here is very interesting.  Although I've
long forgotten the source, I once read that Bell Laboratories did
a telephone-line broadcast of a concert, or perhaps it was the Metropolitan
Opera, very early in the century.  They used two microphones, "one for
each ear." I've no idea who the audience may have been or how the broadcast
was conveyed to them.  It was presumably binaural rather than stereophonic,
of course.

A related question occurs to me: What was the first consumer stereo
recording available on retail.  Before stereo LPs became available in
1968, there was a flurry of releases on open-reel tape.  Listers of a
certain age may remember the controversy over "stacked" verus "staggered"
tapes.

The earliest I can remember seeing on tape, and one of the first stereo
LPs I owned, was the Capital release of Steinberg and Pittsburgh playing
Ernst Toch's third symphony and Hindemith's Mathis der Maler Symphony.
Good stuff.

Richard, who invites you to visit his classical music site at
http://opuspocus.ca