From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 18:39:37 -0800
Albie Cabrera ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>-- There was support for Barbirolli's M6.  I simply wasn't satisfied
>with his M5...  been a while since I heard it, so I can't quite qualify or
>quantify why, but I know I just wasn't.  If I remember rightly, though, I
>think I was wanting of more menace and fury...  (I like my classical music
>to either dazzle or kick ass!;-)...  and I don't think Barbirolli gave me
>that.  My only other exposure to Barbirolli was a brief sampling of his
>Madamma Butterfly...  and having lived with and loved my Karajan version of
>this recording...  I came away thinking Barbirolli *blah*.  (I like a lot
>of Karajan, ok? So to all the naysayers...  Nyeah!;-P) Thus my hesitancy to
>pony up for Barbirolli's 6.

You're making a big mistake.  Barbi's 6th is nothing like his 5th for
starters and you're judging a conductor on 1 recording you heard 'a while'
ago and another you heard only bits of? When I was young I couldn't stand
Klemperer's Beethoven.  We grow and change....

>-- Finally, closing one of his posts, Tony Duggan mentioned an M5 that
>beat all others? Which one?? Can't possibly beat my Chailly...  no...
>impossible!  Well...  if I do see it in my library...  maaaaybe I'll give
>it a listen.  I just can't imagine it though!;-)

Chailly's 5 is beautifully played and recorded but IMHO it doesn't hold a
candle to Inoue - and I'm sure Tony will weigh in with Shipway.

Deryk Barker