From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:37:54 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>arises from non-representational images.  Of course, the difference
>between painting and music is the difference between space and time.
>One takes in the painting all at once.  One takes in the musical piece
>as it unfolds, and reconstructs the whole in retrospect.

While I would mostly agree with this notion, speaking for myself, I have
often reflected on how I view a painting.  Perhaps it is because I am
trained as a musician, but I find that my eye will try to observe the
total painting at first glance, but find it too overwhelming.  I then
will look at one point that catches my attention and then move around
the image, trying to see if I can find any relationship between that one
point which was the original focus of my attention and the whole.

One the subject of painting, it is the abstract painting that seems to
provide me with a stimulation similar to music.  Representational art
is, for me, almost too limiting.  It is a bit like the colors and shapes
have meaning unto themselves and in relationship to each other, not
unlike the pitches and their durations will have a relationship with
other pitches and with the totality of the work.

Karl