From:
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:43:58 -0400
I have been wondering what makes some composers, such as Bruch, on a
lower tier as compared to many of his contemporaries such as Mahler,
Tchaikovsky and Brahms.  That is, why is it when I listen to Bruch or
Hovhaness does nothing stick with me, where is the swing?  I am re-reading
Music, the Brain and Ecstasy and came across this passage.

   "A tonal center is established in the listener's mind and becomes
   associated with harmonic normalcy.  This center becomes the
   anchor point from which all tones and intervals and chords are
   measured and compared.  Adept composers tease the listener with
   the tonal center, pulling away from it and then promising again
   and again to return but always holding back.  Only after lengthy
   expeditions in other harmonic realms that orbit lesser tonal
   centers, is the listner granted release from his agony.  Lesser
   composers make quick, perfunctory returns to tonal centers or
   travel so far from them that the listener hardly recognizes them
   when finally brought home."

This seems to me to be at least part of the answer to my question.
Listening to Bruch is eventually not involving because of the predictability
due to the relationship with the tonal center.  He fears to travel far
from it.  Mahler, on the other hand, has no such fear and takes us on a
more interesting journey.

Thoughts?

Bob Stumpf