From:
Maciej Dziekiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 01:10:32 +0200
William Jenks wrote on CM producers:

>What do those of you who know much more than me about this think? Am I out
>of line? I'm not saying the literal job of the pop producer is the same as
>that of a conductor, but it seems to me that both are the individuals that
>have the most control, aside from soloists, on the 'sound' of a recording
>and the most influence on its feel.

I'm also a CM producer and I have produced only a couple of Cds so my
experience is not very big but I see a one major difference between a
successful producer and conductor.

Conductor can include a work that he finds valuable into his concert tour
and promote it this way, but he will not raise money or make a choice of
an orchchestra, soloists, engineer, concert hall, that will be used for
the CD recording, will not decide on advertising strategy etc.  since all
this concerns money and conductors do not want to get involved in real-life
financial issues as they're most interested in their own high fees.

The real work and success is created by the people behind the flashy
facade.  Conductors in most cases are instructed by the producers what
kind of effect is to be created, and it happens unfortuantely very seldom
that you deal with soloists and conductors of a top top class and you can
be relaxed and know that the outcome is going to be great.  So conductors
job during the proces of creating a new CD, new project, is very limited
and conductors are mostly asked to follow the guides of producers as well
as pop stars are supposed to sing what sells at the moment.  I thing that
would be a better comparison.  Of course there are CM producers that do
classical-pop and easy repertoire and this kind of production is generally
of lower quality, and there are producers who devote a lot of time to only
a few CDs a year but they take the risk of putting up a new, abitious
repertoire in the very best way it can be performed.  Take a look at some
of the ECM productions for example.  But when these decisions are made,
conductors are not even there to say a word.

Maciej Dziekiewicz