From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:05:39 -0500
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>The first movement in a classical era symphony (Mozart, for example) is
>usually sonata allegro form.  The third movement is usually Minuet and trio
>form.  What form is the second andante movement?

It may be in sonata-allegro (or even a large-scale binary form),
theme-and-variations, or what used to be called "3-part song form" (ABA).
I think those are the most common.  The slow movement of Beethoven's 5th
has in interesting form that is somewhat hard to classify.  It has two main
themes, the first being the opening melody in the lower strings, the second
being the theme first heard softly then by the trumpets and drums.  Both
are varied in successive entrances, the first more so.  Yet it does not
follow the typical sectional variations pattern, but more of a kind of
continuous expansion or development.  Another Beethoven movement that is
extremely instructive is the 2nd movement of the Op.  59/1 Quartet in F
Major ("Allegretto vivace e sempre scherzando").  I think it is basically
in sonata-allegro form, but a good deal of development takes place in all
three of the main sections.  In addition, the recapitulation doesn't come
in in the tonic key but works its way around to it.  For those with scores,
I mark the second group (in the dominant minor!) at 115, beginning of the
development at 171, recap at 239 (Gb Major), coda around 404.  What makes
it a little confusing at first are the innovative key relations and the use
of development throughout.  Interesting piece.

Chris Bonds