From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:24:30 PDT
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>So, while performance does and will always be the primary selection
>criteria for a CD purchase, I believe that you MUST talk about the
>sound quality as well when making a recommendation.

And most of us do just that when recommending recordings.  We mention the
clarity, crispness, richness, balances, etc.  What we don't tend to do is
highlight ADD or DDD or 5.1 surround, because those features are not a
reliable indication of sound quality.

Also, and this may not be accurate, Donald *seems* to regard sound quality
as an objective factor which it is not.  So often, one list member raves
about the sound on a particular recording while another thinks little of
the sound on the same recording.  It's a matter of personal preference,
not objective calculations.

Don Satz